The language strings for UpStream are located in 3 places:
- The main UpStream plugin
- The UpStream extensions
- The UpStream settings
In this guide, we’ll show you how to translate the UpStream extensions.
UpStream extensions are packaged in the same way as normal WordPress plugins and use the default WordPress translation system. WordPress uses the .pot file format for translations.
For example, you can translate the Project Timeline extension using the
If you’re looking for a tool to make translations easier, we recommend PoEdit. Find out more in this guide to translating the UpStream core.
The UpStream extensions do need to be translated, in addition to the UpStream core. Click here for instructions.
- We have Spanish translations available for all extensions: Click here to download the Spanish files.
- There are also French translations for 5 extensions: Click here to download the French files.
Even if you’re translating into another language, down those files for an example of how to organize your translations.
Extension Language Details
Here are the default language files for each extension:
- Calendar View: /wp-content/plugins/upstream-calendar-view/languages/upstream-calendar-view.po
- Copy Project: /wp-content/plugins/upstream-copy-project/languages/upstream-copy-project.po
- Custom Fields: /wp-content/plugins/upstream-custom-fields/languages/upstream-custom-fields.po
- Customizer: /wp-content/plugins/upstream-customizer/languages/upstream-customizer.po
- Email Notifications: /wp-content/plugins/upstream-email-notifications/languages/upstream-email-notifications.po
- Frontend Edit: /wp-content/plugins/upstream-frontend-edit/languages/upstream-frontend-edit.po
- Project Timeline: /wp-content/plugins/upstream-project-timeline/languages/upstream-project-timeline.po
Here is where we recommend you place the translations:
- Calendar View: /wp-content/languages/plugins/upstream-calendar-view/upstream-calendar-view-fr_FR.mo
- Copy Project: /wp-content/languages/plugins/upstream-copy-project/upstream-copy-project-fr_FR.mo
- Custom Fields: /wp-content/languages/plugins/upstream-custom-fields/upstream-custom-fields-fr_FR.mo
- Customizer: /wp-content/languages/plugins/upstream-customizer/upstream-customizer-fr_FR.mo
- Email Notifications: /wp-content/languages/plugins/upstream-email-notifications/upstream-email-notifications-fr_FR.mo
- Frontend Edit: /wp-content/languages/plugins/upstream-frontend-edit/upstream-frontend-edit-fr_FR.mo
- Project Timeline: /wp-content/languages/plugins/upstream-project-timeline/upstream-project-timeline-fr_FR.mo
There are at least two key things to note about the recommendations above:
- We recommend placing your translations in the/wp-content/languages/plugins/ folder so they are not deleted by plugin or extension updates.
- The name of the file is important. In the examples above, replace fr_FR with the two-letter code for your language. This list may help you find your code.