- Step 1: Setup the plugin by visiting the UpStream Settings page
- Step 2: Add a Client by visiting Projects > New Client
- Step 3: Add a Client User from within your new Client
- Step 4: Add a Project by visiting Projects > New Project
Step 1: Setup the plugin
The first thing you should do is visit the ‘UpStream Settings‘ page within your WordPress installation.
There will already be default settings under each tab of the UpStream Settings page, but you should change these to suit your requirements. Things like Project Statuses, Milestones, Task Statuses and Bug Statuses can all be customized to suit your needs.
Step 2: Adding a Client
A Client (in the eyes of UpStream) is a business, a freelancer or an organization.
To add a Client, hover over ‘Projects‘ in your WordPress admin area and then click on ‘New Client‘.
Fill in each of the fields that you require such as address, phone number and email. You can even add the Clients logo which will be displayed on the frontend and visible to your Clients Users when they log in.
Step 3: Adding Client Users
Within each Client you can have an unlimited number of Client Users, which are employees of the Client. If your client is a freelancer or a sole trader, you should still add them as a Client User, as well as being added as the main Client.
Adding Client Users will achieve a number of things:
- you can keep track of individual employees & each of their contact details
- after adding a Client to a project, you can then choose to add only certain Client Users to a project
- only the Client Users who have been added to a project can view that project
- Client Users can log into their projects using their email address and the password for the Client
- a Client User can never gain access to the WordPress admin area, only the frontend
Step 4: Adding a Project
To add a Project, hover over ‘Projects‘ in your WordPress admin area and then click on ‘New Project‘.
Start by filling in the basic details on the right of the screen such as Project Owner, the Client, Project Status and start and end dates.
Step 5: Viewing your project
To view your project, simply click on the Permalink at the top of the page and you will be taken to the frontend view of the project.
Once you are in the frontend view, you can also click the ‘All Projects‘ link on the left hand sidebar to view a list of all the projects that you are currently involved in.
Step 6: Giving your clients access to projects
Your clients can access their projects by visiting www.yourwebsite.com/projects where they will see a login screen.
For a client to be able to have access to a project, a number of things need to happen:
- You must first create a Client
- Set the password for the Client using the Password field
- Within that Client, you must add a Client User (must include their email address)
- Now from within the Project, when you choose the Client, the list of users for that Client will appear
- Tick the Client Users that you want to give access to and update the project
- They can now log in using their email address and the password you have set