In this guide, we’ll show you how to create sub-tasks for UpStream projects.
A sub-task is a task that needs to be completed before the main task is be considered complete.
Here’s one example:
- Task: Fix the website bug
- Sub-task: Test your bug fix in Chrome
- Sub-task: Test your bug fix in Firefox
- Sub-task: Test your bug fix in Safari
Let me walk you through an example of how this can work. I’m going to use the example outlined above for fixing a website bug.
First, let’s create the fields we’ll use for sub-tasks:
- Install UpStream and set up a project. Also install the Custom Fields add-on.
- Go to “Projects, then “Custom Fields”.
- Click “New Custom Field”.
- Enter “Safari” as the Title.
- Choose “Checkboxes” as the Field Type.
- For the Options, you can enter the Yes / No choices. In the example below, I choose the “Not tested in Safari yet” option as the default.
- On the right sidebar, this field is assigned to “Bugs” and I chose to make it “Filterable”:
- Save the field.
- Repeat this process for Chrome and Firefox.
- You will now have 3 fields that can be used for your sub-tasks:
- Go to the frontend of your site and look for a project.
- Scroll down to the “Bugs” area.
- Either edit an existing Bug or create a new Bug. You’ll be able to specify whether sub-tasks have been completed: